Get updates on industry news below, courtesy of Transport Topics.
- J.B. Hunt Reports Net Income Growth of 5.4% for 2019
J.B. Hunt Transport Services Inc. on Jan. 17 reported gains in net income and operating revenue for the fourth quarter of 2019 and for the full year.
- New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy Signs Electric Vehicle Law
New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy signed legislation Jan. 17 to support electric vehicle use and charging infrastructure in the state.
- Audit Says Household Goods Shippers Often Too Slow on Military Moves
A U.S. Department of Defense Inspector General audit has concluded that the nation’s household goods shippers too often do not pick up and deliver soldiers’ personal goods in a timely manner during domestic and international moves.
- Speaker Pelosi: Highway Bill On Tap for January
Comprehensive highway policy legislation will be unveiled later this month, U.S. House of Representatives Speaker Nancy Pelosi told reporters Jan. 16.
- Fiat Chrysler in Talks With Foxconn to Develop Electric Cars
MILAN — Fiat Chrysler is in talks with the Chinese company Foxconn to develop and manufacture battery-powered vehicles, the U.S.-Italian automaker said Jan. 17.
- Employers Post Fewer Jobs in November
WASHINGTON — The number of available jobs fell sharply in November, dropping to 6.8 million, a decline of 7.6% from the October level.
- Walmart Shuffles Leadership as Nervous Investors Await Results
Walmart Inc.’s new U.S. chief wasted no time putting his stamp on the unit, appointing his former top lieutenant as second in command and parting ways with the retailer’s head of merchandising.
- Goodyear Launches VC Fund Focused on Mobility
The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co. announced a new venture capital fund, Goodyear Ventures, with $100 million targeted for new investments in future mobility solutions over the next 10 years.
- FMCSA Gives Bus Drivers Exemption From California Rest-Break Rules
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration has granted a petition submitted by the American Bus Association that exempts bus drivers from following California’s meal-and-rest-break rules.
- NHTSA Reviews Claims of Unintended Acceleration in Teslas
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is evaluating allegations that Tesla Inc. vehicles contain a defect that can cause sudden unintended acceleration, according to a notice posted on the agency’s website.
- GlobalTranz Buys Logistics Firm Cerasis
GlobalTranz Enterprises, a national transportation management company for truckers and other shippers, has acquired Cerasis, a privately held company in Eagan, Minn., with about $150 million in revenue and 119 employees.
- Bulkmatic Launches New National Joint Venture With Bulk FR8
Bulkmatic, one of the largest dry bulk transporters in the United States, is teaming up with Seattle-based Bulk FR8 to form a new nationwide joint venture.
- Michael Bloomberg Outlines Plans for Cleaner Buildings, Cars
SACRAMENTO, Calif. — Democratic presidential candidate Michael Bloomberg would push for all new cars to be electric by 2035 and new buildings to produce zero carbon emissions by 2025 as part of clean energy plans he released this week.
- China’s Wider Fight With US Is Only Just Beginning After Trade Deal
In a letter read out during the Jan. 15 trade deal signing at the White House, Chinese leader Xi Jinping asked U.S. President Donald Trump to take steps to “enhance mutual trust and cooperation between us.”
- Love’s Plans to Open 40 New Truck Stops
Love’s Travel Stops & Country Stores announced plans Jan. 16 to open 40 new truck stops, adding 3,000 more parking spots and creating 2,500 jobs.
- Judge Sides With California Trucking Association, Issues Preliminary Injunction in AB 5 Fight
A federal judge in San Diego on Jan. 16 issued a preliminary injunction against the trucking component of a California law that would restrict how independent workers can be classified by companies. The judge’s ruling means the state of California cannot implement the law as it pertains to the trucking industry.
- IPhone Manufacturer Wades Into Electric Cars With Fiat Venture
Hon Hai Precision Industry Co., the iPhone assembler that’s part of Foxconn Technology Group, plans to establish a joint venture with Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV to develop and make electric vehicles in China.
- TA Express Truck Stop Opens in Kilgore, Texas
TravelCenters of America announced Jan. 15 it has opened a new TA Express truck stop in Kilgore, Texas.
- Alliant Reconfigures $46.5 Million Freight Hub Project in Iowa
Shifting market needs and ballooning costs led Alliant Energy Transportation to revamp a multimillion-dollar intermodal project on nearly 75 acres it owns, northwest of Eastern Iowa Airport in Cedar Rapids.
- Alabama to Fund 31 Road Projects With $7 Million From Increased Fuel Tax
Alabama cities and counties will get $7 million from the state’s increased fuel tax to help fund 31 road projects, Gov. Kay Ivey and the Alabama Department of Transportation announced Jan. 16.